Monday, March 21, 2011

Back from Asia

Haven't been able to post for some time due to my trip to Taiwan and China. I had fun experiencing different cultures and I took particular notice with the games and animation there. As expected in Taiwan it was very Japanese anime oriented and even China had some reminiscence of anime in their cartoons, especially with the big eyes.

On the video gaming side, I talked with my cousins and apparently American games dont seem to be performing very well. With the exception of Blizzards World of Warcraft and Starcraft. While its still very Japanese centric, there seems to be a huge surge and transition to online gaming in the Asian market. Especially MMO type games are on the rise.

Another interesting thing I learned there was when I talked with my cousin Chiu Liwei was that to create entertainment media in China you need a Chinese company to claim ownership. This is because the country is trying to promote its own animation and gaming and doesnt want outside companies. To compensate, many chinese companies simply take ownership of outside titles for release inside which I think is extremely stupid.

No comments:

Post a Comment